reflections

I just want to say thanks to all the people who train with me or listen to me talk about this stuff. Josh, Crazy Bastard Bucky, Kenny, my parents who think I'm certifiable, and especially my fiancee, Michelle, who puts up with my shitty attitudes that come with exposure to heat and lack of food and water for the few hours after I'm done training.

I haven't lost near the weight that I wanted to thus far, but I feel way better physically today than I did even two months ago. I down about 10lbs since I started this blog. I'm sure I've packed on some sort of muscle in my legs though, right? Right? I'll keep telling myself that and not dwell too much on the scales.

rei doubleshot packI picked up some cool gear for my birthday that has helped to make training, and hopefully the race, more enjoyable. Michelle got me a REI Doubleshot pack that goes around my waist. I wasn't crazy about carrying a backpack of any kind to keep my back from getting sore and the waist carried camelbaks struck me as inconvenient due to the hose and time to fill. The Doubleshot pack has a holster for two 24 oz squirt bottles and a small zippered pouch in between for storing gels or snacks. It also has some elastic webbing across the outside of the pouch which is perfect for stuffing a light windbreaker in and cinching it down. Most important of all, it doesn't feel cumbersome when running with it on. My parents got me a pair of RaceReady LD running shorts. They are super lightweight and have mesh pockets on the back for holding additional gels or food.

If you would have told me two summers ago that I would be running the Pikes Peak Ascent, I would have laughed at you and ordered another beer. Who'da thunk I'd be going up past treeline for a training run and looking forward to it? Hope this winter isn't as bad as last and I can actually get outside and continue to build on the progress I've made so far. I'm even toying with the idea of running a full marathon sometime next summer! Let me get through the Ascent first before we get too far down that road.

1 comments:

CBB said...

Nice work my young apprentice....

My motto for next year : "Get Cutler's fat ass up the mountain".