rescue run

Rolled out of bed on a few hours of sleep and a little hungover to make my way over to Palmer Park for the Rescue Run.  The weather was decent, although a little breezy, but comfortable enough for shorts and a light shirt.  Once on scene, I got registered, filled out my shirt raincheck form and headed off for a quick warmup lap of the park.

A couple minutes prior to the gun, I took my spot towards the back half of the pack and waited for the herd to start moving.  I think I went out too fast as I was picking off scores of people up until the top half of the first climb.  My heart was racing and I was reduced to a walk to finish the first big climb.  Once it leveled out on the road to the overlook, I slowed the pace and continued on to the turnaround.  I got a quick swig of water and headed back.  I had visions of running sub 30 but knew it wasn't to be when I made the turn at 17:30.  Not wanting to let the dream fade, I made decent time to the hill and then went flying down the big incline that had kicked me in the ass a few minutes earlier.  About halfway down the hill, I glanced down at my watch to see I was moving at a decent 6:46 pace.  However, once gravity was no longer on my side, I realized the tank was empty and coasted in for a 31:33 (31:15 watch time) finish.  Not terribly impressive but it was nice to sweat out the beer from the night before at least.

Looking forward to doing nothing tomorrow and resting up for some big mileage this weekend.  Looks like the weather could be nasty on Sunday so that one might be on the 'mill.

0 comments: