training for 26.2

After taking a couple weeks off following the Rock Canyon half, it was time to start laying plans for the next challenge.  I did some digging on the interwebs and perused a few training plans until I found one that I felt I could handle and would get me ready to tackle a marathon.  I've got 18 weeks of running and cross training lined out to get me to the start line of the Colorado Marathon on May 3rd, 2009.

This week marks the start.  I got my first run done at the Jack Quinn's Running Club Tuesday night run and then did 5 miles on the treadmill at the gym on Wednesday morning.  Nothing spectacular for pace at this point but I'm just trying to get the miles in for the first few weeks.  I waffled about which race I was going to run at this morning's Rescue Run but settled on the short course since I was only on the hook for three miles today.

The shins are already starting to bother me a little but I'm hoping that healthy doses of Vitamin I and ice will keep them from flaring up too much.

My wife gave me a Garmin Forerunner 305 for Christmas so I've been having fun geeking out with the results from the few runs I've brought it along on.

Tomorrow will be a much needed rest day and then I've got a 5 miler on Saturday and an 8 mile long run on Sunday.

Here's to hoping I can get most of the runs in and life doesn't get in the way too much.

0 comments: