catching up

After my last post, the hip started acting up a little more. With a trip to Puerto Rico for my sister's wedding on the horizon, I took the opportunity to heal a bit and take it easy while on vacation. Several days I toyed with the idea of running but I never got out early enough and didn't want to mess with 85+ degrees and humidity. Once back in CO, for the final weekend of March, I got a short run in on Saturday and managed to hobble 13+ miles on Sunday in the fog and cold. Welcome back, indeed.

Hip was still bothering a bit after that weekend so I made an appt to see the doc. Naturally, he was booked out til mid April so I opted to chat with the PA but that wouldn't go down until the 4th. I took the week off to let the hip rest in hopes that I could salvage a long run on the weekend.

Saturday, April 2nd, I headed out to tackle a long run. Things went fairly well until about 13 miles in when I ran out of water. Been a while since I've run in anything close to 70 degrees and it really got cooking around noon. Felt pretty good about the outing overall. Hip still a little bothersome but no worse than it had been before. By Monday when I was scheduled to see the doctor, naturally, my hip felt great. I had trouble explaining and locating the painful areas to the doc and he basically said it probably was not hip bursitis but just some general overuse of the fascia on the medial and upper iliac crest. So the layer of muscle that attaches to the top of the outer hip bone. Prescribed one PT session where they could show me some stretches/exercises for the affected area and wished me luck at Colfax.

Monday night I ran the 4 mi golf course loop and things felt pretty good again before and after. Will plan on running a little longer tomorrow and prepare for 17 this weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how far did you go on Saturday ? Did you go further than 13 ? I did 15 on Sunday morning, and the wind was vicious, and I timed it right so the rain turned to snow. Funny thing was I ran south from Woodmen on Pikes Peak Greenway with the wind in my face, and sure enough it shifted around to a north wind on my way back. Really tired of this wind.

So, as far as you know, you're still in for Colfax ? I'm going to try to do 17 or 18 this weekend also. What is the longest you're planning on doing ? I'm thinking maybe 19, next weekend, and than starting the taper.

Buck

Jay said...

I did a little over 15 on Saturday. Glad I didn't wait until Sunday. Still planning on Colfax as of now. Just have to see how things hold up. I think I'm going to wait until Sunday this weekend and do 17. Probably do 18 or 19 next and then 20 the following before shutting it down.

Let me know if you want to run on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're following a pretty good plan. I'm going to skip on the offer to run tomorrow. I'm on call for work tomorrow, and may have to go to SAFB. I did my 16+ today, which was probably a good thing given tomorrows weather forecast. Have fun out there, and I'll IM you from work sometime late next week about tagging up next weekend (I'm supporting prelaunch stuff at SAFB all week, so won't be at my desk).

Buck

Anonymous said...

Jay, I'm out this weekend (4/16-4/17. I got some crud from Ty (head cold), and don't think I'll be up for it. Have fun.

Buck