sunday 8/8

Was in Roswell, NM for the weekend with the in-laws. It's well over an hour to the mountains from there and the family had plans to go to the lake Sunday so I had to find a route to run closer to town.

I thought about going out to Bottomless Lakes State Park and running a few laps on the mountain bike trail and then later decided to hit the urban trail from one side of town to the other and back.

Slept right on through the 6am alarm and finally got out of bed at 9am. It was already well into the 90s at that point but that's my punishment for sleeping in I guess. I threw on as little clothes as possible and headed to the zoo where the trail starts. It was nasty hot to start but once moving there was enough breeze to cool things off. I made my way across town moving from street level and then down into the Spring River drainage every few blocks and then back up. When I finally reached the golf course, it was mostly exposed around the perimeter of the property. About a mile later I reached the end of the trail on the west side of town. The heat had really started to take its toll at this point and I mixed in a few walking breaks on the way back but managed to run most of it. Probably some of the hottest weather I've run in but I was glad to get in 8 miles in those conditions.

Enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at the lake in the cool water.

0 comments: