saturday 7/24

Cliff notes: Blodgett Peak fail.

Headed over to the west side this morning to tackle a peak on the north end of town that I've never been up. Trail started out on a service road in the open space and dead ended into a single track trail near some old water works.

After heading up a drainage for about 10 minutes, I crossed the drainage and moved onto the east facing slope of Blodgett Peak. The trail petered out here and I was left to scramble up the boulderfield. Felt ok until I got to the top when it was just a scramble up a scree slope with no real trail to go by. I gained the northeast ridge but could see that I still had another few hundred feet of vertical to go with no trail.


At this point, I decided to start the slide down the scree slopes instead of continuing on. I made it back down to the water tank and the double track service road and back to the parking lot.


I looked up the routes when I got back home and saw the error in my ways. There is certainly a "route" to the top via the boulderfields, but you make it up as you go. The standard route continues up the drainage instead of traversing over to the east slope of the peak. I'll make sure I stay straight next time.








Took me almost 3 hours to cover 3.5 mi with a lot of backtracking in attempt to find some semblance of a trail around the boulderfield.

0 comments: