putting hay in the barn... or something

Got out last Tuesday before work and had one of those rare days where you can just keep running well beyond your normal quitting time.  I hopped onto some new trails in Deer Creek Canyon Park and ended up going over 8 miles on the day and almost 1800 ft of climbing. 

Ventured back out on Deer Creek trails on Friday for a quick trip to the top of Plymouth Mountain.  I wanted to see how long it took purely hiking to the top versus the run/hike mix I usually do.  Turns out power hiking got me up there slightly quicker which I guess is a good thing since that's what I'll be doing more of on race day.  36 minutes to the top and 1:05 total with 1680 ft climbing.

Sunday I was up at 4am and in the parking lot at Memorial Park a few minutes after 5 to head up to Barr Camp.  I took my time to let the sun come up a little more so I could see since I didn't bring a light.  I jogged away from the parking lot at 5:20.  I took it nice and easy up the road to Hydro and settled into a hike up the first steep climb.  Felt decent when that was over and kept a good pace going to the top of the W's.  I slowed down a little bit going over to No Name and hit a bad patch above No Name and wasn't able to really push it going across the faster and flatter section of the course.  Definitely ran a little hot through the W's and paid the price higher up.  A lesson better learned in training than on race day.   Made it to Barr Camp in 2:27, emptied a bottle of water into my pack, stretched, and headed back down.  I hiked a lot of the first couple miles down and was then able to resume running all the way back down to the park.  Finished in 4:10.

Plan for the upcoming week is at least one trip up Plymouth and then head back down to Manitou on Saturday morning.  Debating whether or not I should go up to the summit and run around above tree line or make another trip to Barr Camp.


0 comments: