winter series iii

Got up Saturday morning and headed up to the Monument area for the 3rd race of the Pikes Peak Road Runners Winter Series.  The course went from Baptist Rd into Monument just past the Hwy 105 exit and back to Baptist Rd on the Santa Fe trail.  The course was on a packed dirt trail and gained 200 or so feet in elevation on the way out.  It was pretty flat and there was little in the way of snow or water on the trail so it made for a comfortable run.

I went snowboarding on Friday and was still a little sore in my left hip area and both of my calves were feeling tight.  I wasn't sure how they would hold up to 5 miles of running.  I got a number and ran up the trail about a quarter mile and back to warm up.  I went out pretty slow and felt ok.  I carried a water bottle so I wouldn't have to stop to take a drink at the turnaround and could take a sip as needed on the course.  I had completely forgotten about any nagging pain in my calves or shins by the time I hit the turnaround and decided to pick it up for the way home.  I was picking off runners at a pretty good clip on the way back.  For some reason (mental mostly), that last mile seems to take forever and I never feel like I have gas in the tank when I pass that final marker.  I felt like I slowed down a little during the last mile but found a kick for the finish as some of the runners I had passed earlier were making a push at the line.

I finished at 54:28.  I was pretty pleased with that time.  Still under 11 minute miles and I was able to run the entire distance.  I fought back a side stitch a couple of times but it never got so bad that some controlled breathing for a few minutes couldn't put it in check.  Next up is a 10K on Feb 23.  I'll have to make some kind of effort to run during the week leading up to the race while I'm touring around London for work.

0 comments: