st pats 5K

Woke up early on Saturday, had some breakfast, and started getting my head right for the 5K on St. Patrick's Day in downtown Colorado Springs.  I changed clothes a few times because every time I looked out the window the weather was doing something different.  Finally decided I would wear shorts and a tech shirt.  I had a windbreaker with me to stay a little warm before the race and ended up tying it around my waist just before the start.

Once we got the gun we headed off down Tejon St.  About a block in my legs felt already felt weak like I needed food.  Too late now... I kept on.  Once the crowds thinned out a bit, I settled into a comfortable but faster than normal pace.  I caught up with a few people that I was running with after a couple blocks and ran with them for a bit.  The race as a whole was pretty uneventful.  I found myself behind a couple dudes who were juggling the entire time and still holding a pace that was a little quicker than my own.  Badasses!

I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't so much as one water stop or a mile marker anywhere on the course and when I rolled into the finish line all jazzed to see my time, there was no clock to be found.  My stopwatch/hrm has been inop for about 4 months since the dog ate it and nobody else around me seemed to have a watch on.  I was left to wait until the sheets were posted at Runner's Roost later in the day.

I quickly found my parents (how cool of them to come out and cheer me on) and told them that I was going to find my fiance and bring her in.  I made it another two blocks north on Tejon and found her.  I ran with her down to the final turn and stopped and waited for her to cross the line and meet up with my parents and all of our friends.

We decided to head over to Old Chicago to claim seats for the parade and start swilling celebratory beers.  Not long after we were there, Jill came back from Runner's Roost with times for everyone.  My goal was a 32:00 but I would have been pleased with a 33:00 still being well into PR territory for me.  When I saw her sheet, I read my time and threw my hands in the air.  30:34!  I was completely surprised by that and also very pleased.  Granted, it was hardly a maintainable pace for me over any distance more than what we had done, it felt really good destroying an old PR and getting so close to a new milestone.  Hopefully, I can crack out a sub 30 min 5K before the season is out.  Time to update the goals!

0 comments: